Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bike Commuter Night Out


If you live in Lane County and are interested in getting started on a bicycle, or perhaps in bicycling more for transportation, I hope you'll join me at the Bike Commuter Night Out tonight, beginning at 6:30 pm at the Hilyard Community Center.  Folks interested in a discussion about women and bicycling may also want to attend: this event features a panel of six women cyclists (including me) who will be speaking about getting around by bike.

Paul Adkins will share a presentation about bicycle commuting.  If you don't yet know Paul, he is a great resource for bicycling here in Eugene.  He's one of the founders of Kidical Mass, and teaches the GEARs Confident Cycling class (there's one beginning soon).  He's also a bicycling activist and a father of four great kids.  I hope to feature his family in an interview here soon!

After Paul's presentation, the panelists will discuss obstacles to bicycling, as well as our own successes in overcoming those obstacles.

Hope to see you there!

5 comments:

  1. I've deleted my own comment three times due to ridiculous typos! Here's hoping that the third time's the charm.

    Thanks to Paul and GEARs for organizing a great event, and to the other panelists and audience members for a great discussion!

    Meeting and discussing bicycling with the other panelists and folks in the audience was a rare pleasure. I think that GEARs should hold a forum on women and cycling annually. It was interesting to hear about each woman's unique path to cycling, and interests and concerns about life on a bike.

    Claire Dannenbaum, a librarian/artist/mama and a panelist at the event, has a blog that I'm bookmarking:

    http://ephemerarium.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an event I would have loved. I wish we would see similar events/discussions here on my side of the country. I feel like I am in no position to try to organize such evenings as I am often just treading water getting through daily life (!), but I would really love to hear what others have to share about bike commuting in my city, bike commuting with kids locally, etc. I turn to the web all the time for such discussions and inspiration, but would it would be so great to connect in person over these issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't it be great if forums like these were the norm in all of the bike month activities around the country? I also found inspiration on the internet before meeting other people in my community who ride bikes, even though I live in a pretty bike-friendly town.

    I love the awesome t-shirts on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily,

    Thanks for your fabulous family bike blog! Your new bike looks awesome and I agree, it's so important to have a bike that is stable while loading kids and stuff.

    Just wanted to let you know that I've included your blog in a list of inspiring and awesome family bike blogs over at Momentum Planet's Families on Bikes blog.

    Happy Riding!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathleen:

    Thanks! I love your columns for Momentum, and I'm delighted to be included with the other excellent blogs you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete